All crochet patterns written by Kim Guzman at CrochetKim are in US terms. All photos not copyright to Kim Guzman are posted with permission. This website contains affiliate links. Any purchases through affiliate links will provide me with the income necessary to keep this site available at no extra cost to you.
I found these completely new-to-me Kraft Caramel Bits Baking Chips while researching for Christmas cookies. I think they’re for melting and I really want to try that in a caramel brownie soon but I’m trying them first in these cookies because Christian really loves the Salted Caramel Cookie Bars from Little Debbie. I wanted to try to come up with a cookie recipe that included the things he liked about the Little Debbie bars.
Thankfully, cookies don’t have a lot of ingredients. I didn’t add any salt here because the butter already has salt and there will be some added sea salt at the end.
Christian learned the hard way that the butter should be SOFT! ha!
We got so worked up over the butter that we forgot to video tape adding the sugars!
You probably won’t notice in the video, but Christian didn’t have a good grasp of the spatula and the chips went flying. It was so funny. We were giggling all the way through it.
I have only had a cookie scoop for about a year but the difference it makes! I love that all the cookies are uniform in size. And, Christian can’t stand to put his hands in stuff like this so it works really well for him.
We put the cookies in the oven for 30 seconds until they were just barely glistening so the sea salt would adhere better. Don’t go crazy with it, though! You want only a few sprinkles.
Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2 1/4 Cup flour, all-purpose
- 1 Teaspoon baking soda
- 1 Cup (two sticks) butter, softened
- 1/2 Cup granulated sugar
- 1 Cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 Large eggs
- 2/3 Cup Kraft Caramel Bits
- 2/3 Cup mini chocolate chips
- sea salt, course ground
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Whisk together flour and baking soda in medium bowl until well combined.
- Beat butter, sugars and vanilla extract in large bowl until creamy.
- Add eggs and mix well.
- Gradually add flour mixture, about one cup at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Stir in caramel bits and chocolate chips until well mixed throughout.
- Drop dough by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets. We used a cookie scoop which makes it so much easier to get uniform cookies.
- Place cookies in preheated over for about 30 seconds. Remove from oven and sprinkle lightly with sea salt. Continue baking for 11 to 13 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool on wire rack until cool enough to remove from pan then allow to cool completely before storing.
- Makes 45 cookies.