This website contains affiliate links. Any purchases through affiliate links will provide me with the income necessary to keep this site available at no extra cost to you. Crochet patterns are written in US terms.
These are the rules for my Facebook Free Crochet Patterns Group. Please feel free to join us HERE.
ALL MEMBERS SHOULD READ THESE SIMPLE RULES AND ABIDE BY THEM.
Be nice, don’t sell anything and don’t break the law.
I have made a video with a tutorial on Facebook Group Navigation for anyone needing to learn the different features:
Learn to Print the Free Patterns:
This group is first and foremost a crochet community. Crochet-related material of any kind is allowed, except for the following:
1. You are not allowed to post your etsy pages with the group.
2. You are not allowed to post your business for sale pages or websites with the group. In other words, if your business page is made up of products with a price tag, then it’s a commercial site and should not be posted.
3. You are not allowed to post items for sale with the group.
4. Don’t post a photo of a knot in yarn and complain about it. Seriously, there are knots in yarn. It’s never going to go away. This is a FREE CROCHET PATTERNS group anyway. It has nothing to do with knots in yarn.
5. No photos of yarn stash. I have found them inspiring in the past, but they really have nothing to do with free crochet patterns. And, unfortunately, they cause a side effect that isn’t conducive to our “zero drama” motto.
6. This is definitely NOT the place to ask for or try to giveaway or sell yarn or other items used in crochet. Coming into a group of tens of thousands of people and asking whether anyone has some spare yarn to send them is not appropropriate for a group like this, no matter the reason. Look for Facebook groups that are specifically for this purpose.
7. We love pets! We love kids! We just don’t love them in a group dedicated to Free Crochet Patterns. Unless your kid or your pet has written a free crochet pattern, there is no need to post their photo, even if the photo includes a yarn or hook. The only exception would be displaying a legitimate crochet project with them (i.e. a baby or child in a hat you’ve made in crochet or a dog wearing a dog sweater you’ve made, etc.). This will be admin discretion. It’s nothing personal if your photo is removed. A decision will be made about whether the photo is about the crochet or the pet. If it’s about a pet, then don’t be surprised if the photo is removed.
8. We love holidays and love your holiday greetings! Please post them in comments at this link only:
9. We love crochet humor! Please post the tasteful memes and cartoons for CROCHET humor at this link only:
10. Group members have voted against naked body parts in crochet. Not currently allowed in the group: boob coozies, willy warmers, boob pillows, etc. It’s not that we’re all against these things, but they cause too much drama which, as you know, isn’t allowed.
11. In order to keep more posts of the free patterns closer to the top of the group (the primary focus of this group), some posts will be turned off for commenting after a period of discussion when the post is not related to free patterns.
12. We appreciate the “thank you” some of you post after admission into the group but we can’t post them in the group because it makes it difficult to find the free patterns. Please know that we read them and we appreciate them. We just don’t post them as individual topics.
(This list may be amended from time-to-time.)
Admin has the ominous responsibility of maintaining a Zero Drama atmosphere in the group. Through knowledge and experience, admin has a fairly clear understanding of what causes drama in a group like this and certain posts will be removed pursuant to admin discretion. It’s nothing personal.
All primary posts in the group are moderated so don’t think it’s just you being moderated. If there is a question about whether a post follows the rules of the group, it will be Admin discretion about whether it will be posted. The primary criteria for determining whether it will be posted will always be Admin discretion. Posts about religion and politics certainly don’t have a place in this group. And, posts requesting finished projects or yarn, etc. don’t have a place here either. As much as we appreciate these requests, especially for charitable purposes, these specific requests should be directed to specific groups set up for that purpose. Don’t take offense if a post has been determined not to have a place in the group. It’s nothing personal.
Copyright piracy isn’t tolerated in the group. Any group members asking for COPIES of any patterns (as opposed to LINKS to access the pattern themselves) may face immediate removal from the group. Likewise, distribution of copies of patterns through private message or otherwise will also mean immediate removal. There are only three primary rules of this group. “Don’t break the law” is one of those three and will not be tolerated.
If you *do* decide that you want to break the law by sharing copyright-protected material amongst yourselves, you need to be aware that you could end up sending it to someone who has no interest in breaking the law with you and they could report you to Facebook and you could lose your access to Facebook. The least of your worries will be removal from this group. It’s simply a better choice to choose NOT to break the law and take advantage of all the freely-available patterns on the internet instead.
This group isn’t a place to sell anything. There are other groups for that. If you post something for the sole intention of selling something, the post will be deleted. For example: Don’t post a link to your business Facebook page if you are selling items from it. Don’t post a link to something in your etsy shop. You are an adult. If you’re trying to sell a finished project or a pattern, just don’t do it. Just say no.
If you have a crochet group, FB page or website which you feel is a good fit for FREE CROCHET PATTERNS, please list your link in the GROUP MEMBER LINKS document here:
If you have a problem with another member of the group, keep it out of the group. Either take your conversation to your private message boxes or ban them. Arguments in the group won’t be tolerated. With that said, always remember that a message posted which you may take as offensive may not have been intended that way. Until we can have a Facebook group that is face-to-face, give each other the benefit of the doubt.
This group is for free crochet patterns or links to free crochet patterns. No pattern copying of any kind. Other posts can include links to free crochet tutorials and projects members have made.
If you write your own pattern for something, you are welcome to place it in the files of the group. You should be aware, though, that the upload feature in the group files section hasn’t worked for months. I don’t know if it will be fixed by Facebook, so you’re better off making your file, uploading it to a blog or Ravelry or elsewhere, then providing the link in the group. If you make something from one of the member patterns (there are a few in the files), you are welcome to say that it came from the Free Crochet Patterns group and anyone interested may join. Most of the patterns here, though, are links only. And, you are welcome to tell others that the link was found on this group. Or, when the post comes through the feed, you can share things with others by clicking the share button. If a link is posted in the feed, you can either share that link with the share button or copy the link into a new post somewhere else. It’s on the internet, so you can share the link anywhere you like. If you write your own pattern and prefer to post it on the internet somewhere outside the group, you are welcome to share your link if it is a free pattern.
If someone is looking for a pattern for something specific (i.e., someone posts a photo or description) and the photo is of a paid pattern, the link can be posted. Sometimes, the things we want simply aren’t free but we still want to help people find what they are looking for. We try to post free crochet pattern links, but it’s not always possible. As long as the intent is to be helpful, posting the links to paid patterns or even giving the book/magazine name is acceptable.
If someone posts a project they’ve freestyled without a pattern, please don’t harrass them about writing a pattern. Not everyone wants to write patterns. I don’t even *want* to write patterns. It’s completely okay for them to post their project so we can admire it without demanding a pattern.
Since we may have kids in here wanting to learn to crochet, please keep the group age and content appropriate. We’re not prudes. We’re responsible adults.
Members are welcome to post photos of their completed projects, whether made from a free pattern or from a purchased one. If it is not a free pattern, simply state in your description that it is not a free pattern and feel free to leave a link or name of the source of the book or magazine. If the intention is to show off the project and not to sell a pattern, everything’s cool. If the intention is to sell a pattern, it’s not. Admin discretion. When group members post their projects, they are never under any obligation to post the pattern to the group. We do like to ask for patterns, though, and that’s completely okay. We don’t however, use the name of the group to *expect* that a pattern is provided solely because of the name of the group.
Starting any kind of a request with “Since this group is called Free Crochet Patterns, where’s the pattern?” will not be tolerated. Statements like this always lead to a discussion about how the group should be run. Discussion about how the group should be run will not be tolerated. The rules are in place for a reason.
If the post relates to an item made up from a purchased pattern, please do not ask for copies of this pattern. It is okay to give a link where the pattern came from, if asked.
23 Jan 2017 amendment: We’ve had several problems in the group and we are implementing a NEW RULE as of today with regard to posting project photos. If you post a project photo, you MUST state in your initial post (not the first comment) one or more of the following: 1) Name of pattern, 2) Name of website, book or magazine, 3) name of designer, 4) link to the pattern (if it’s not free, state that it’s not free) and/or 5) No pattern. All photos that don’t come in with this information will be automatically deleted. These posts where the OP posts a photo and then disappears or posts that encourage pattern sharing solely because of the title of the group must stop. We don’t want to stop the practice of posting finished projects (because we LOVE them!) but we can’t allow it to disrupt the group any longer. If your post is removed due to this new rule, there is no reason why you can’t post again, ensuring that you have provided the information required. If your link is to a piracy website, your photo won’t be accepted into the group. If your project photo is inappropriate, your photo won’t be accepted into the group. We’ve deleted several photos from the group with people not properly clothed, for example.
12 Feb 2017 amendment: We like crochet designers! We like them if they make their living by giving free patterns with ads and we like them if they sell their patterns without ads. We like them all! In this group, though, we just really don’t think it’s appropriate to post a photo which is clearly for a non-free pattern and ask for a free version of that same pattern. It’s in poor taste and it can’t be allowed. If you want a similar pattern, simply describe what you want, i.e.; a crochet hoodie for a child with wolf ears, for example. Don’t post the designer’s photo and ask for a free version. It is just wrong. The designer is probably in this group and I can’t have them treated like that. Free patterns are good! Let’s just not deliberately try to use someone else’s work (the photo) to avoid paying for their pattern. You can still get a pattern search request for XYZ pattern. You just don’t need to use their work to do it.
If a photo is posted that indicates ATTACHMENT UNAVAILABLE, you must change the setting of the photo so that Admin will be able to see it. If it is not changed, the message will be deleted.
And, always, please be kind to one another. Crochet is supposed to be fun, not stressful. 🙂
Kim Guzman, Admin
Group started 9/22/14