It was Christian’s birthday and he loves carrot cake. I just happened to have some zucchini and carrots on hand so we decided on making this cake for his birthday and it was wonderful!
It took awhile for Christian to get all the ingredients together because it was his first time grating vegetables but he did a great job!
To make this recipe, you start out by whisking your dry ingredients first.
We don’t have any dry ginger so we added the grated ginger during the wet ingredients instead of the dry ingredients shown here. If you happen to have fresh ginger on hand, feel free to use it. I always have fresh ginger stored in the freezer because it keeps longer and it’s easier to grate when frozen. Just make sure you put it in the egg mixture instead of the flour mixture so it mixes well.
Set aside your dry ingredients and begin working on your wet ingredients in the bigger bowl.
Once you have your wet ingredients, add the flour mixture a little at a time to the wet ingredients.
When you get everything mixed together, it will be stiff and sticky. Fold in the zucchini and carrots.
Spray the pan with cooking spray and then pour the mixture, evening it out with a spatula.
Make sure the cake is completely cool before adding frosting.
Zucchini Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 Cups all purpose flour
- 2 Teaspoons baking powder
- 1 Teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 Teaspoon ginger if using fresh, double the amount
- 1 Teaspoon cardamom or nutmeg
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- 3 Large eggs
- 3/4 Cup vegetable oil
- 1 Cup sugar
- 1 Cup brown sugar
- 2 Cups zucchini shredded
- 1 Cup carrot shredded
- cooking spray like Pam
- 8 Ounces cream cheese softened
- 1/2 Cup butter softened
- 3 Cups powdered sugar
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In medium bowl, whisk together first six ingredients. Set aside.
- In large bowl, mix next four ingredients.
- Add flour mixture to egg mixture in 3/4 cup amounts and mix well after each addition. Mixture will be dense and sticky.
- Fold in zucchini and carrots.
- Spray 9 x 13″ pan with cooking spray. Pour in cake batter and smooth to level.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool on wire rack.
- Cream together softened cream cheese and butter.
- Add remaining ingredients. Blend until smooth. Frost cooled cake.
- Refrigerate leftovers.